Sunday, January 6, 2013

Les Miserables




This was a tough one for me to review. I have seen it twice and I enjoyed it better the second time. The first time I saw it I was a bit agitated and tired I left the cinema got home slept on it and I was dying to see it again the next day.

Every song was stuck in my head. My boyfriend and I would take it in turns either having ‘Master of the house’ or ‘do you hear the people sing’ in our heads.

It is not only a long film; it is an extremely long musical film. There is little to no dialogue only a small part at the start (which gave my boyfriend a false sense of security).

The film is adapted from Victor Hugo's epic novel Les Miserables, and this musical is equally as epic. Every member gave it their all and you can tell.


The story follows Prisoner 24601 Jean Valjean who is freed from prison after 19years, he is on parole and must check in and get his papers stamped. Eventually Jean Valjean (Hugh Jackman) decides to change his ways. He changes his name and becomes a better man making a promise to god. Throughout the entire film Police Inspector Javert (Russell Crowe) is constantly hunting Jean Valjean for breaking his parole.

That is the main and constant storyline that runs through the entire film. 
The supporting cast (which I hate to say as they are more of an ensemble) all have there own story lines. Fantine (Anne Hathaway) deals with trying to support her child Cossette who is living away from her and currently being taken care of two cruel Inn Keepers (Sacha Baron Cohen & Helena Bonham Carter). Older Cossette (Amanda Seyfried) falls in love with Marius (Eddie Redmayne) who is torn between his love for Cossette and his commitment with Enjolras (Aaron Tveit) and Friends of Café ABC on the barricade fighting for the French Revoloution.

As you can see there is a lot going on, I am scared to say anymore, as I don’t want to spoil this for anyone.


I loved this film. It is on the long side, not necessarily long time wise but it is all singing. The songs are long and every one of them is emotional. You do leave this film a tad overwhelmed. Hence why it took me a day to process it.

Hugh Jackman was just spectacular especially during “Valjean’s Soliloquy”. He is singing throughout the entire film and knowing they are singing live. It is just breathtaking how good he is. I always forget he is Wolveriene.

Anne Hathway gave the performance of her life, she was just incredible when she sings, “I Dream a Dream” all I could hear were sniffles around me.

Eddie Redmayne and Samantha Barks give stand out performances with ‘On My Own’ and ‘Empty Chairs at Empty Tables’ I found my eyes getting glassy. To remember Samantha Barks when she was in the show ‘I’d do anything’ going through the auditioning process for Andrew Lloyd Webber to perform in Oliver, she came third.

A surprise performance for me was Aaron Tveit as Enjolars. Knowing him only as Nate Archibald’s cousin Tripp from Gossip Girl, he was amazing he had the strength that Enjolars needs. When he and Marius (Eddie Redmayne) sing ‘Red and Black’ and ‘Do you hear the people sing’ they capture the essence that was the French Revolution.  


I believe Les Miserables will be getting some nominations, if they will win - I see them winning BAFTAS or SAG awards. Being up against Daniel Day Louis in an American film playing one of the greatest American Presidents in Lincoln I think The OSCARS are a tad biased. Hugh Jackman deserves an OSCAR but that’s America for you.


It is a fantastic film I would encourage everyone to go and see it, but I will give a word of warning it is a musical, not like Mama Mia, not like Hairspray and it's not like Moulin Rouge.

It a proper musical, there is no dialogue it is ALL singing!

I am going to give this film 9 out of 10.



**Side Note** 

I am so annoyed they left out Do You Hear The People Sing on the Soundtrack. They have a snippet of it within the epilogue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment