Saturday, January 5, 2013

Wreck-it Ralph




I went into this film not expecting much, and I was surprised as to how much I found myself laughing out loud while watching this. 

Yes it is a Disney film clearly intended for children but this is one adults will enjoy too. In my theatre it was a predominately adult audience with perhaps four children under 10 years of age in the cinema.

If you haven't seen the trailer the basic storyline is Wreck-It Ralph (John C. Reilly) is a bad guy in a video game and he is sick of being seen as just a "Bad Guy" when at heart he is a good guy. So he abandons his game (threatening the towns people in his game possible shut down) to prove to them he can be a good game. 

While trying to prove himself a good guy he ends up in another game 'Sugar Rush' encountering Vanellope (Sarah Silverman) a young and cheeky little girl who is the outcast of her game. She is the one getting all the laughs from the kids. One girl could hardly contain her giggles with all the "bum" and "stinky" style jokes. They will be quoting her for days.

The film deals with labels and judgement and like all disney films sorting out their morals and everyone learns a heartfelt lesson. I personally felt the townspeople from the Wreck-It game were a tad on the overly mean side. In my mind I was telling them where to put it, jerks!

It's very cute animation, I didn't see it in 3D purely due to session times (cartoons are the only films I can bare in 3D). I don't know what it is, it's not Pixar or Dreamworks but the animation quality is really good and adorable. 

It was a fun film, a tad on the long side but there were enough references to keep me giggling... I did appreciate the cartoon Skrillex though! 

At 24years of age I can still remember the last of the Arcade Rooms at the RSL and Video Shops  (Daytona, PacMan and Street Fighter). I do wish they had more arcade references then newer playstation/nintendo gamer character references but I understand it has to be relevant to a younger market!

I was delighted with this film! I didn't go in expecting much I did put off seeing it expecting a cringe factor but it was funny and I was interested the entire time!


I am giving this film 6.5 out of 10






No comments:

Post a Comment