Sunday, January 6, 2013

Moonrise Kingdom


This is the newest instalment from director Wes Anderson and Anderson fans will not be disappointed. Moonrise Kingdom is my new favourite Anderson film, only just beating Fantastic Mr Fox and Rushmore.

Moonrise Kingdom is about a twelve year old orphan Sam Shakusky who abandons his scout troop to run away with Suzy Bishop, a thirteen year old troubled girl who is unhappy at home with her two layer parents (Bill Murray and Francis McDormand). There is a large rescue/search for the two by the scout troops, scout troop leader Edward Norton and police officer Bruce Willis.

I just loved everything about this film although I am a huge Wes Anderson film. A friend of mine saw this and hated is, she isn't a Anderson film her words were "If you're not a fan of his it was like a giant pretentious slap in the face." However another person who hadn't seen any of his films thought it was weird but enjoyable. I can see where they're both coming from, so my advice is if you know you don't enjoy Anderson films you probably won't like this.

The script was very similar to Fantastic Mr Fox, in a way that it is an children's film for adults. It reminds me of the book "Go the fuck to sleep" on the surface a children's book but actually its for adults.
The way Sam and Suzy run away from home just makes me think, this movie could be for a couple in their 20's. The language and the way they interact its a grand love story however they're only pre teen, with they're elaborate escape together.

It was very funny the entire cast is just perfection Bill Murray can do no wrong. Bruce Willis and Edward Norton were standouts for me. I was surprised how much I enjoyed Bruce Willis in this, I usually cringe when I see his name on a movie, he was funny and dopey as the small town police officer.
Tilda Swinton and Jason Schwartzman have small roles but they are fantastic, especially Tilda Swinton after seeing her in 'We need to talk about Kevin' to now be social services she is just a fantastic understated actress.

I also have to note the costume and locations just made this film. This is a film that I couldn't wait to buy on DVD. I have now seen it multiple times.

I am giving this 7.5 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment